Exceptional professional with 3-5+ years’ work experience to help lead One Acre Fund’s internal Investigations team and initiatives.
Kakamega, Kenya (3-6 months); Nairobi permanently
Minimum 2 years commitment, full-time job.
The Fraud Investigations and Compliance Associate will be part of the Legal Department and work closely with country and departmental leadership to identify existing or potential weaknesses across program areas and to prevent and detect fraud across program areas. The role will have two main areas of responsibility:
- Internal investigations: Work with local investigations teams to conduct internal investigations involving fraud, misappropriation and violations of human resources policy. In addition to conducting these investigations and managing other investigations, the Associate will advise on prevention and detection policies and maintain internal policies on investigation procedures and disciplinary action.
- Training on fraud and corruption: Under the guidance of the Legal Department, the Associate will develop and conduct regular trainings focused on deterring and preventing fraud and corruption. These trainings will also be given to different departments to increase their capacity to strengthen internal controls and prevent fraud.
The Associate will also have the opportunity to recruit, manage and develop local teams of investigations to provide comprehensive global support to the organization on these issues.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
As a growing organization, we are ready to hand over significant responsibility for specific, well-defined strategic initiatives as well as day-to-day management of our systems to the person in this role. As such, we are seeking an exceptional professional with 3-5+ years of work experience, and a long-term career interest in international development. This professional will serve in a career-track position that combines fraud prevention work and operational analysis with management experience in Africa.
In addition to the responsibilities outlined above, the Associate will be responsible for the following:
- Support, manage and mentor the team leaders of the above functions
- Implement appropriate policies and procedures designed to ensure consistency and timeliness in the investigation and disposition of complaints and reports; ensure that such results are communicated appropriately.
- Ensure effective functioning of the internal investigations process, oversee database of case information, monitor the performance of investigations, perform trend analyses, and recommend follow-up actions based on the trend analyses.
- Assist in creation of tools and templates for investigations as well as improvements to tools used for reporting.
- Analyze investigation trends and metrics, creating reports for use by senior management.
- Work closely with the local offices and global teams to manage One Acre Fund’s compliance function.
- Coordinate with regional finance and local offices to ensure compliance with other risk topics as they arise.
- Liaison with our business development team to ensure that all compliance issues and requirements related to grant, loan and/or financing agreements are coordinated and centralize
- Maintain and periodically review One Acre Fund policies and procedures particularly those related to investigation procedure, fraud and corruption prevention and detection, involving the appropriate stakeholders as needed.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking an extraordinary candidate who will help us take the organization to the next levels of impact and scale. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- 3-5+ years of experience conducting and leading investigations in a recognized professional or financial services firm, investigative organization, or in-house investigation experience with demonstrable experience participating in high-level internal investigations and/or audits.
- Top undergraduate degree, post-graduate degree preferred, in a relevant field such as finance, accounting, law or criminal justice.
- Highly professional and commercial approach to problem-solving
- Proven ability to lead investigations and manage other investigative staff
- Ability to drive forward and co-ordinate concurrent projects and tasks while managing competing demands.
- A strong team work ethic and excellent people skills.
- Demonstrated experience with client interaction in an international professional service firm or in-house.
- Extensive experience managing complex cases and successfully managing resources and budget.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including both verbal and written communication.
- A willingness to live outside of a capital city, close to our customers with frequent travel to rural areas for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track position with potential to grow into an East Africa or US-based management role.
- The ideal candidate will have at least one year demonstrated experience working in the developing world, although this is not a strict requirement.
- Travel: while based in Nairobi, this position will require travel within East Africa between approximately 25-50% of each month.
- Language: English required, French and/or Swahili are/is a plus.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible.
Starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with fast raises for performance, paying a meaningful salary for long-term placement in developing nations.
Health insurance, immunizations, flight, housing and food
Sponsor International Candidates?
East Africans strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, click this link.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED