- Terms of reference
Job title: Child Protection Project Manager
Reporting to: Child Protection Coordinator
Supervision of: Head of Mission as a whole, but through CP Coordinator
Starting date: asap
Duration of contract: 6 months (renewable)
- General context of the mission
INTERSOS has been present with child protection activities in Upper Nile State since 2014, working in Malakal PoC and Malakal Town on reunifying children who have become unaccompanied or separated (UASC) or those with high vulnerabilities (OVC) due to the ongoing conflict in South Sudan and providing them with life-saving and psychosocial support based on their needs.
In Malakal PoC and town, the volatile security situation poses serious threats to the welfare of families’ structures. As of June 2016, out of a total of 18,000 children reported to be living in Malakal town and PoC area prior to eruption of violence in Juba, registration of children with high protection concerns have reached 600 registrations in the last six months only. Most of them were found with high protection concerns including health issues, malnutrition, psychosocial distress, mental health issues, some of them were found not attending school, forced to work by their caregivers or to take care of the household. In Malakal, where women are often the sole breadwinners of the families, the extremely low or non-existent incomes leads mothers being forced to leave their children alone all day while walking out of the PoC to fetch firewood, grass, abandoned furniture. This results not only in family separation, but also in increasing number of children having to take care of their family members, or that are left alone all day increasing the already high level of distress among young children and adolescents in the two locations.
- Tasks and responsibilities
The incumbent will, under overall supervision of Head of Mission and daily supervision by Protection Coordinator based in Juba, be in charge of Child Protection activities in Malakal County, Upper Nile States. INTERSOS has been implementing CP project in Malakal County since February 2016, and the activities are meant to provide sustainability in its activities.
In particular, he/she:
- Is in charge of project management, including regular monitoring of project outputs, financial plan, procurement plan and INTERSOS internal project appraisal tool;
- Ensures, in line with INTERSOS internal rules and regulations, donor regulations and international humanitarian standard (such as SPHERE), the whole management of the project, including appropriate budget management and procurement plan;
- Recruits South Sudanese staffs if applicable;
- Is in charge of preparing the Final Narrative report;
- Has to perform any other work-related duties if applicable.
- Required profile/experience
- University Degree
- Prior experience of Child Protection response highly (desirable)
- Prior experience and knowledge of working with CHF-funded project highly (desirable)
- Prior experience in South Sudan for more than 6 months (desirable)
- Experience with UNICEF funded projects
- Good level of understanding in Child Protection principles and standards, humanitarian principles (including neutrality, impartiality and Do No Harm), SPHERE standard, International Human Rights Law and International Humanitarian Law
- Proven familiarity with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Skype
- Flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties in the field
- Ability to cope with stress and to take responsibility
- Willingness to learn
- Management and leadership skills
- Ability to integrate and work well within multiethnic and multicultural teams
- Proficiency in English (conversation, reading and writing) required. Knowledge of Arabic an asset
- Willingness to accept very basic living standard and frequent field mission
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their curriculum vitae, motivation letter and 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying in the subject “PM Child Protection – South Sudan”.