Posted on: 30/03/17
Desired start date: May 2017
Duration of the mission: 6 months
Location: Juba with some deployment on the field (all states of SSD)
About the mission:
Solidarités International (SI) currently implements 2 kinds of programs in South Sudan:
- Emergency Preparedness & Response + WaSH intervention in Malakal PoC : SI is one of the NGOs contracted by ECHO to be part of the EPR system in order to provide a quick response to crisis. This includes the conduction of rapid assessments and the implementation of emergency WaSH short interventions throughout the whole country. The ongoing ECHO project also covers the WaSH activities conducted in the PoC of Malakal.
- Emergency WaSH interventions in informal settlements such as Wau Shilluk. The WaSH intervention in Wau Shilluk, spontaneous IDP camp located across the river from Malakal. The intervention focuses on the provision of clean water, hygiene promotion and environmental sanitation.
The 2017 strategy is to continue along the same angles with the main focus on the WaSH / EP&R interventions and a potential development of Food Security and Livelihood projects. The strategy is oriented towards the following 2 axes:
- Ensure access to emergency WaSH and shelter services for vulnerable and acutely vulnerable populations.
- Provide the conflict-affected populations of South Sudan with durable and sustainable WASH infrastructures and improved access to food security.
A coordination team of 5 persons (including the HoM) in Juba and Malakal, about 100 national employees and 16 expatriate positions. Potential changes depending on emergency interventions
About the job:
The Deputy EPR Coordinator is responsible for supporting the EPR Coordinator in the preparation and implementation of EPR WASH responses in Republic of South Sudan.
The Deputy EPR Coordinator will be based in Juba and will work under the supervision of the EPR Coordinator. He/She will be deployed on the field upon needs to support the lauching of the EPR interventions or to cover EPR Program Managers gaps.
Key components of the job are:
- Support the implementation and follow-up of EPR interventions
- Manage the EPR Program Managers, ensure development of the EPR Program Managers and the EPR national term capacity (technical, multi sectorial assessment, organizational).
- Support the development and implementation of the EPR processes and procedures in collaboration with the EPR Coordinator.
Main priorities within the first 3 months of the mission
- Program planning, implementation and monitoring to ensure WASH services to most needy people in line with SI strategy.
- Implementation of Cholera response activities in Juba and possible others locations in the country (Outbreak not yet declared)
- Build the team capacity to implement already developed processes and response methodologies.
- Participate in the development of SI EP&R team capacity to implement manual/jet drilling operations (planned to start October/November)
- Sc in Civil Engineering/Environmental Engineering/Environmental Science, Geography, water resources or Wash related project management or a relevant field
- Experience in context analysis, access negotiations and security management
- At least 4 years of professional experience in the humanitarian environment managing similar projects.
- Proven experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts and insecure environments, with consequent experience in supporting emergency response or early recovery
- Significant knowledge and experience of project cycle management and budget follow up
- Large team management abilities and cultural awareness
- Knowledge of the WASH sector with Good technical knowledge
- Knowledge on estimation, drawing and design of WaSH infrastructures,
- Experience in multi sectorial needs assessment
- Experience in WaSH NFI’s distributions
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills and the ability to multi-task and support and/or fill multiple positions at one time,
- Strong initiative, flexibility and creativity,
- Strong resilience and resistance to stress, difficult living and working conditions,
- Commitment to the job and the organization,
- Knowledge of SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL’s field of expertise and specific tools would be a strong asset
- Fluent English (written, spoken and read), essential for writing reports and for external coordination.
- Knowledge of French and/or Arabic is an asset
- General computer literacy
- Knowledge of technical software (like AutoCad, Sketchup)
- Comprehensive knowledge and very good command of MS Office.
- Knowledge of GIS and Mobile data collection software is an asset.
- Knowledge of health, livelihood/nutrition, education and protection sectors basics is an asset.
- This position requires strong project management experience and autonomy. He/she will need to manage/follow security link to his/her function in different and new locations in the country.
SI will offer:
A salaried post: according to experience from 1800 euros gross per month, plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly, and a monthly Per Diem of 700 USD.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 500 euros allocated by Solidarités). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarités will cover travel costs)
Contact: Mano GAUDIN, Recruitment and Follow up Officer
For further information about SI, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/