VSO globally runs programmes in Health, Secure livelihoods and Education. Social accountability and Gender, Social Inclusion and resilience/climate change are core approaches used in all VSO’s programme areas.
VSO Kenya has a presence in 21 counties in Kenya implementing various projects in Empowered Youth for Employment and Entrepreneurship, Inclusive Education and Social accountability. We initiate research, pilot innovative approaches, and conduct participatory evaluations to help strengthen the voice of primary actors (beneficiaries) in policy dialogue. We do this by recruiting and placing volunteers (within communities, projects and strategic partners), conducting trainings, research, policy briefings and by facilitating peer exchanges. VSO focuses on strengthening government and community structures, building the capacities of women, youth, girls and boys, persons with disabilities to increase accessibility of communities to quality Inclusive education to economic empowerment and entrepreneurial skills, health and other social services.
In anticipation of funding, we’re looking for a PROJECT AND M&E ASSISTANT for the Access to Quality Education for Children and Adolescents with Disabilities Project.
Purpose of the role:
The purpose of this role is to work in close collaboration with county governments, Education Actors, schools, parents, communities and volunteers to deliver Access to Quality Education for children and adolescents with disabilities project objectives.
- Lead project evaluation activities such as baseline, mid and end line evaluation; ensure project M&E plan is in place
- Ensure effective monitoring of activities to achieve project outcomes
- Ensure project implementation as agreed with project coordinator and programme manager
- Participate in identification of potential schools; assessment of implementing partners, and contribute to project design and regular monitoring.
- Conduct administrative and financial duties related to all aspects of project implementation; organise all necessary logistics for project activities, such as meetings, events, workshops, trainings, M&E activities e.t.c
- Maintain an effective communication system and ensure information flow between project and relevant parties.
- Undertake extensive travel to project Counties to lead in implementation of activities, capacity building of volunteers, implementing partners and primary actors
- Ensure quality administration and financial management in all project sites
- Assist in drafting contracts, work plans, budgets, and writing project internal and donor reports
- Manage and regularly check project assets to ensure their right purpose of use, maintains data management and filing system for the projects
- Ensure security and safety for project work station, and liaising with Hosting Partners to ensure smooth running of the offices.
- Supervise and support Volunteers, and project stakeholders, including logistical and administrative support.
- Represent VSO in meetings with government and other relevant stakeholders as required
- Provide support for other VSO activities as reasonably requested by supervisors and in line with organizational priorities
You will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Special Needs Education or inclusive Education
- At least 2 years’ experience working in the field of both project management, finance or administrative experience in an NGO or community based organisation.
- Evidence of knowledge and skills in M&E
- Evidence of previous experience in implementing Disability project
- Proven experience in coaching and mentoring of team members
- Knowledge on gender and inclusion practices
- Good written and spoken English and Kiswahili skills, Kenya Sign Language skills is an added advantage
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and with minimal supervision
- Good written and oral communication.
- Evidence of effective problem solving and organisational skills.
- Evidence of professionalism and high integrity.
- Evidence of openness to learning to improve own performance.
We invite qualified and interested applicants to apply. Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25th June 2017. Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications.
VSO is an equal opportunity employer.