Call for Applications
Position Title : Associate Programme Officer
Duty Station : Nairobi, Kenya
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Six months with possibility of
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 28 June 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the
benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this
vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or
short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on
Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the
Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular,
fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Chief of Party of the Somalia Stabilization
Initiatives (SSI) Programme and the direct supervision of the Reporting Officer, the successful
candidate will be responsible for supporting the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), Grants, and
Programme Development units with reporting on the implementation of grants in accordance
with the priorities established by the Senior Management team and according to the established
IOM and OTI procedures.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Collect and analyse political, security, socio-economic, and other relevant updates on SSI
project areas in collaboration with the field team.
2. Draft and edit weekly political, security and programmatic updates for the weekly report in
order to inform SSI programing.
3. Assist in drafting and editing quarterly, annual and any other program specific documents.
4. Liaise on a regular basis with team members based in Mogadishu, Baidoa and Kismayo to
collect their inputs.
5. Conduct desk reviews, and edit scoping mission reports for expansion into new program
6. Respond to any ad hoc request for information from OTI partners and liaise with the field
team to collect information.
7. Assist the program unit in the submission of strategy documents to IOM and OTI.
8. Maintain an updated matrix showing reporting status for each grant.
9. Assist in updating narrative records and photographic files, in accordance with program
Page 1 / 3
standards and requirements.
10. Assist in capacity building for staff in areas of impact reporting, program development, and
11. Undertake duty travel to Mogadishu, Baidoa, or Kismayo, as required.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in International Development, Political Science, International relations,
Diplomacy, Social Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
• University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in the field of research, analysis, report writing, governance, or development with
international organizations or NGOs ;
• Proven experience in report writing, analytical writing in English;
• Experience with USAID stabilization programming preferred;
• Knowledge of development program planning and implementation;
• Proficiency in computer skills, especially MS Office applications (Excel, Outlook, Word etc.);
• Understanding of socio-political dynamics of Somalia is an added advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Somali is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of
self and others.
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs,
perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs
• Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this Call for Application (CFA) is subject to
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,
Page 2 / 3
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 28 June 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on
your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 15.06.2017 to 28.06.2017
Requisition: CFA 2017/24 (P)-Associate Programme Officer (UG) – Nairobi, Kenya (55088802) Released
Posting: Posting NC55088803 (55088803) Released
Page 3 / 3
Call for Applications