Position Title : Project Coordinator
Duty Station : Nairobi, Kenya
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 27 June 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the
benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female
candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates
are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru,
Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador,
Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Holy See, Saint Vincent and
the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
The Reintegration Facility programme aims:
1. To increase the capacities of partner countries and relevant stakeholders, to develop or
strengthen return and reintegration policies and processes, including identification and referral,
2. To facilitate safe, humane and dignified AVRR processes among partner countries,
3. To facilitate sustainable reintegration across three dimensions: successful economic
reintegration and strengthened livelihoods; social and psycho-social reintegration and enhanced
returnees’ rights and access to justice.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and the direct supervision of the Senior
Regional Programme Coordinator/Head for EUTF Programmes, and in close coordination with
the Regional Thematic Specialist for Counter-Trafficking (CT) and Assisted Voluntary Return
and Reintegration (AVRR) in IOM Regional Office, Nairobi, the successful candidate will be
responsible for the overall coordination of the EU funded Reintegration Facility programme in
support of the Khartoum Process; covering Djibouti, Somalia, Sudan, and Ethiopia as well as
supporting the implementation of the Better Migration Management Programme (BMM).
The European Union, through the Emergency Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF), has developed a
joint initiative with the International Organization for Migration (IOM) to support the Facility of
Page 1 / 4
Dignified Return and Sustainable Reintegration effort, in support of the Khartoum Process under
a 25 million Euro envelope covering the Horn of Africa window.
The action will focus on 4 priority countries, namely Djibouti, Ethiopia, Sudan and Somalia. In
addition, it will include, several regional elements, including contingency budgets to address
emerging trends and shifts in return migration within the region, including key Khartoum Process
The Better Migration Management Project is a regional, multi-year, multi-partner project funded
by the EU Trust Fund for Africa, and managed by the Gesellschaft fuer Internationale
Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). IOM is one the main implementing partners for the project along with
United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), Expertise France, Italian State Police, the
société de conseil et de service du ministère de l’Intérieur (CIVIPOL) and the British Council.
The project will be implemented in the following countries – Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya,
Somalia, South Sudan, and Sudan. The BMM programme takes a regional approach and aims
to provide capacity building to improve migration management, in particular to prevent and
address irregular migration, including smuggling of migrants and trafficking in human beings.
The intervention logic is based on four components: (1) support for policy and legislative
development and harmonization for better migration and border governance (2) capacity
building in the form of training, technical assistance and the provision of appropriate equipment
to those implementing migration related policies; (3) support to the identification, assistance and
protection of migrants in need; and (4) awareness-raising with regards to alternative livelihood
options, including safe migration.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Under the guidance of the Senior Regional Coordinator for EUTF programmes in Regional
Office (RO) Nairobi, coordinate the overall implementation of the EUTF Reintegration Facility in
a timely manner, overseeing its financial, administrative and technical aspects, in line with IOM’s
policies and procedures, as well as donor requirements.
2. Ensure proper coordination in the Region with other projects funded within the framework of
the European Union Trust Fund in terms of reintegration approach, monitoring and evaluation,
reporting, data collection and information elaboration.
3. Assist in overseeing the implementation of the Better Migration Management programme.
4. Monitor projects progress, specifically aimed at increasing effectiveness and recommending
5. Supervise and direct project managers and other programme staff; oversee and coordinate,
as required the recruitment of programming staff and consultants.
6. Facilitate the establishment of strong partnerships with Government entities and with the
European Delegation, other implementing partners, UN agencies and other stakeholders in the
project’s target countries.
7. Prepare progress and other project reports and ensure proper information exchange in all
operational aspects of the project between IOM, the EU and other stakeholders.
8. Ensure the sharing of information, and collection of best practices. Ensure that new policies
and practices developed at the global level or in other regions are integrated in the programmes
9. Under the guidance of the Senior Regional Coordinator for EUTF programmes in RO Nairobi,
act as Deputy IOM Regional Coordination focal point for EUTF Reintegration Facility
programme and coordinate associated projects, upon request.
Page 2 / 4
10. Ensure efficient implementation of all the phases of the EUTF Reintegration Facility
programme e.g. Return, reintegration, capacity building and monitoring and evaluation.
11. Represent IOM Regional Office at relevant seminars and meetings, as well as other events
aimed at promoting IOM’s image and activities with regards to the EUTF Reintegration Facility
Programme as well as for the BMM programme in direct support to the Senior Regional
Coordinator for EUTF programmes in RO Nairobi.
12. Undertake site visits and duty travel as required.
13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Law or a related field
from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project management, including managing Migrant Assistance and
Return/Reintegration project with a Government or UN agency, or a regional or international
• Experience implementing similar projects in the Middle East and/or North Africa, and/or
reintegration projects in Sub-Saharan countries is preferred;
• Proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relations with relevant Government
counterparts, international organizations and private sector entities;
• Good knowledge of project management, monitoring and evaluation principles and practices;
• Familiarity with budget/financial administration; proven resource management skills;
• Good level of computer literacy (MS Office Word, Excel and Outlook).
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of IOM/UN languages is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of
self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs,
perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
Page 3 / 4
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in
the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are
nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 27 June 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on
your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 14.06.2017 to 27.06.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/133 (P) – Project Coordinator (P3) – Nairobi, Kenya (55088042) Released
Posting: Posting NC55088056 (55088056) Released
Page 4 / 4
Position Title : Project Coordinator