The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance. It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles. The ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Nairobi co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Kenya, Tanzania and Djibouti. It also runs regional specialist units that provide support and expertise to the ICRC’s delegations in Africa.
The Regional Delegation in Nairobi is seeking for; an experienced, highly motivated and qualified person to fill the position of;
REGIONAL GIS OFFICER
(Open to Kenyan Nationals only)
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Produce maps to support the operational and reporting objectives of the delegation following ICRC GIS Guidelines;
- Organize and maintain the geo-database of the delegation. Filing and storing of geo-data and meta-data following ICRC GIS guidelines;
- Maintain Synergy Geographic Referential;
- Report Geo database and map products to central HQ database following ICRC GIS guidelines;
- Support Delegation Staff in collecting Geo-data incl. ICRC recipient places;
- Regular Geoportal / GPS / GIS training;
- Technical GIS support to GIS officers in the Region;
- To analyse and valorise internal and external data sources;
- Networking with external actors in order to upgrade quality and extend coverage of geo-data;
- Search and disseminate map products (ICRC and external) internally;
- Prepare and maintain full Geo-referential data for neighbouring countries and beyond if requested;
- Regular Map production for neighbouring countries;
- Management of specific GIS projects in collaboration with the ICRC Headquarters in Geneva and with the Urban Regional Advisor;
- QSR & WPA Coordination responsibility.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in GIS or related field;
- 2 years work experience as ICRC GIS Officer II or similar function;
- Proven geo-data management and map making skills with ESRI ArcGIS 10 software;
- Capacity to train others in GIS;
- Good knowledge of common GIS & GPS tools and mobile data Collection;
- Very good database management skills;
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested persons with the required background and experience are invited to submit their application to: Human Resources Office on the address or e-mail below, before 28th June, 2017. Please include a detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of certificates, current and expected remuneration and contact details of three referees. (Indicate the position title on the subject line).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
International Committee of the Red Cross,
Nairobi Regional Delegation, Denis Pritt Road,
P.O. Box 73226, Nairobi, 00200, Kenya: