Position Title : Resource Management Officer
Duty Station : Nairobi, Kenya
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One Year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 27 June 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the
benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female
candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates
are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru,
Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador,
Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Holy See, Saint Vincent and
the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator and in collaboration with relevant
units at Headquarters (HQs), Administrative Centres (MAC and PAC) and the IOM Regional
Office in Nairobi the successful candidate will be responsible for the carrying out the
administrative and financial tasks at the Regional European Union Trust Fund (EUTF)
Programme Coordination Unit, Kenya.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Monitor and oversee the financial management for all activities including the oversight of
financial expenditure and accountability; and undertake financial analysis of all activities for
Implementing Missions (Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, and Sudan).
2. Prepare donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established
3. Ensure that Implementing Missions maintain appropriate internal controls to safeguard
assets, the control cash and prevent fraud. Verify Assets reports prepared by Implementing
Missions and further submit to donor.
Page 1 / 4
4. In coordination with Implementing Missions prepare programme budget revisions for
submission to donor.
5. Regularly review SAP postings done by Implementing Missions and advice on
corrections/adjustments if necessary.
6. Prepare and submit to donor regular requests for funding instalments; ensure funding is
received in accordance with donor agreement.
7. Oversee budget control process and analyse variances between budget and actual
expenditures based on the donor agreement. Evaluate monthly financial reports for all missions
and take action to resolve anomalies and unusual trends.
8. Ensure that Implementing Missions comply with general instructions of IOM and relevant
permanent instructions in their respective missions.
9. Inspect payroll versus implementing missions’ EUTF budgets, ensuring that salaries are
correctly allocated to project and consistent with IOM projectization principle.
10. When necessary, undertake travel to Implementing Missions to assist Resource
Management teams in the field and ensure that IOM rules and regulations as well as donor
requirements are followed.
11. In cooperation with RMOs and the PLO in Implementing Missions, ensure validity of
contracts with suppliers of goods and services as well as related administration authorities and
conformity with IOM rules and regulations.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Public Administration, Business Administration or a
related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA),
Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified
Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
• Experience in management, humanitarian and complex project implementation, liaison with
governments and international agencies;
• Practical experience in IOM administrative and financial management, budget monitoring, cash
management and internal control procedures; knowledge of IOM finance, procurement and HR
procedures and rules;
• Experience in providing direct assistance or definitive hands-on experience with refugees,
asylum seekers and other beneficiaries;
• Experience with project implementation, scheduling and deployment of resources;
management experience in the field of humanitarian assistance;
• High level of computer literacy, in particular, experience in computerized accounting systems
and software; knowledge of MS Office specifically EXCEL; knowledge of IOM accounting
systems, software and procedures (SAP a distinct advantage);
• Previous work experience in the region an advantage.
Page 2 / 4
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of
self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs,
perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in
the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are
nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 27 June 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on
your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
Page 3 / 4
From 14.06.2017 to 27.06.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/132 (P) – Resource Management Officer (P3) – Nairobi, Kenya (55088013)
Posting: Posting NC55088014 (55088014) Released
Page 4 / 4
Position Title : Resource Management Officer