Deadline: 11 September 2017
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Organization: Oxfam Canada
Oxfam Canada (OC) is an international development agency with a focus on women’s rights and gender equality, committed to building lasting solutions to global poverty and injustice by advocating for fundamental social change. We work in relationships of solidarity and partnership to build the capacity of civil society in the Global South. As a founding member of Oxfam International, Oxfam Canada works in collaboration with other Oxfam affiliates to increase impact and influence locally, nationally and globally.
Scope of position:
The Manager, Campaigns is responsible for building and maintaining Oxfam’s supporter base and strategic alliances across Canada to support Oxfam’s mission and goals. She/he is responsible for development, planning and delivery of creative and inspiring public engagement and campaigning initiatives. This position is responsible for leading a team to effectively develop and execute Oxfam Canada’s public engagement program across Canada.
The Manager, Campaigns collaborates with other members of the Policy & Campaigns team as well as other departments to ensure effective planning and implementation of public engagement initiatives.
Some travel will be required.
Major responsibilities: (This is not an exhaustive list of duties to be performed)
Strategy and Planning
- Develops national public engagement and campaign strategies and plans to build Oxfam Canada’s constituency, influence and impact across the country;
- Builds collaboration across departments and units to ensure aligned and cohesive public engagement and campaign strategies and plans;
- Prioritizes strategic areas for work and integrates these within the broader departmental plan and with broader organizational objectives;
- Participates in the planning and implementation of Oxfam’s long-term and annual plans and strategies.
Program Development and Implementation
- Delivers cohesive engagement program for supporters from coast to coast to coast to effectively build and mobilize a dynamic, inclusive and active Oxfam supporter base engaged in campaigns, raising awareness and raising funds;
- Develops and implements national public engagement projects, including delivering creative, compelling and interactive presentations for internal and external audiences to build Oxfam’s constituency across Canada in support of Oxfam’s mission and strategic goals;
- Identifies and leads implementation of key opportunities to enhance volunteer and supporter engagement online and on-the-ground including volunteer forums, workshops, webinars and social media. Creates effective tools and organizes successful activities and events to support volunteer engagement across Canada;
- Oversees and participates, as appropriate, in the implementation of campaign and organizing activities in collaboration with the organizing team including logistical elements and oversight of event staff/volunteers;
- Collaborates with members of staff in all departments to ensure effective planning, implementation and messaging to the public. Includes the following:
- Developing campaign tactics (including events and materials) to support and develop outreach activities. Acts as volunteer development partner with regional outreach team, to identify, diagnose and propose solutions to medium and longer-term issues. Participates in team meetings to coordinate work, resolve operational issues and contribute to harmonious relations amongst team members.
- Identifying, developing and implementing strong and effective volunteer and other public communications. This includes development and management of a volunteer communication web portal, ongoing e-communications to supporters, production of materials and resources, development of effective organization-wide communications strategies and appropriate relationships with media.
- Ensuring strategic alignment with Oxfam’s policy research and objectives and to develop appropriate relationships with key decision-makers.
- Developing fundraising opportunities for volunteers and supporters.
- Developing and maintaining supporter and volunteer information management tools and lists.
- Working with Oxfam Québec, Oxfam International and other Oxfam affiliates to ensure strategic alignment and success of campaign and public engagement initiatives.
- Develops and maintains Oxfam expertise on specific public engagement and campaigns initiatives, in particular in the areas of women’s rights, economic justice, the global food system, sustainable development and climate change.
Representation, Alliance-building, Relationship-building
· Liaises, develops and maintains working relationships with relevant organizations, coalitions and individuals representing Oxfam;
- Acts as a visible and dynamic ambassador for Oxfam Canada with volunteers, allies and coalitions;
- Facilitates and maintains good organizational relationships with all contacts.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning, Reporting
- Monitors and evaluates Oxfam Canada’s public engagement and campaign activities;
- Develops evaluation tools and processes for engagement and campaigns to encourage learning, continuous improvement and learning;
- Ensures regular assessment of volunteer needs and expectations through ongoing contact and communication with leadership volunteers;
- Develops regular reports on Oxfam Canada’s public engagement and campaigning work.
Team Leadership and Development:
- Leads, mentors and manages staff to effectively and efficiently manage their responsibilities;
- Oversees development of team and individual work plans and conducts performance evaluations for all team members;
- Fosters a positive team dynamic.
Required knowledge, experience & competencies:
- Demonstrated campaigning and public engagement experience with a commitment to women’s rights and social justice. Background in gender mainstreaming in campaigns and expertise in women’s rights and advocacy initiatives.
- Experience in leveraging online and social media to build on-the-ground engagement and the capacity of supporters.
- Experience working cross-functionally and in complex cross-departmental environments.
- A minimum of seven (7) years’ work experience in public engagement, base-building, campaigning and advocacy including demonstrated skills in the design and delivery of educational and advocacy campaigns.
- Experience working with women and youth is an asset.
- Experience in the building and maintaining alliances and networks.
- Experience managing diverse teams.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to social justice, women’s rights and gender equality.
- University degree in a directly related discipline such as adult education, international development, gender studies, political science or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Understanding of the public engagement and campaigning environment in Canada
- Demonstrated leadership and success in national public engagement and campaigning program strategy development, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, learning and reporting.
- Demonstrated skills in the development, planning and implementation of creative and inspiring public campaigning.
- Demonstrated success in managing diverse teams.
- Ability to work independently and manage teams, and external suppliers and consultants.
- Strong people manager with demonstrated experience managing change.
- Proven track record in building and maintaining respectful and effective relationships with senior managers, staff and senior volunteers.
- Proven track record of communications excellence, both oral and written, with fluency in English is essential. Proficiency in French is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated capacity to motivate audiences, ignite engagement and build capacity of supporters and volunteers.
- Ability to position volunteers as leaders, ambassadors and stakeholders. Strong stakeholder focus. Assesses stakeholder needs through effective consultation.
- Able to adapt and have flexible styles for interacting with various audiences,
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- High energy and ability to undertake effective public engagement and campaign project management.
- Strong strategic and creative thinking skills as well as conflict resolution and negotiating skills.
- Thorough understanding of development issues both internationally as well as in Canada.
- Proven success working with staff and volunteers in program planning and delivery.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to exercise tact, discretion and judgment at all times.
- Proven administrative skills and an organized approach with an ability to prioritize and effectively handle many demands;
- Capacity to take direction, work in a self-directed manner and exceptional skills working within a team setting;
- Familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet, communications, database, information systems.
How to apply:
Please submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting competition number MC0817 in the subject line of email.