From: Relief International
Closing date: 29 Oct 2017
Position: Program Officer
Location: Khartoum, Sudan
Reports To: Country Director
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
This role offers an opportunity to work within a leading global humanitarian organization that transforms adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. In East Africa, RI is working to improve health, nutrition, education, WASH and general economic conditions through relief and development programming. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to work in a region undergoing historic change.
Under supervision of the Sudan Country Director, the Program officer will assist in report and proposal editing, writing program summaries, or assisting in developing program communication materials. The program officer will also assist in creating or revising program budgets in Excel, and conduct administrative tasks as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Program officer expected to have initiative and possess strong writing, editing, and organizational skills. He / she must be attentive to detail.
- Provide day-to-day support on business development activities such as performing daily checks of procurement sites and transmit notice summaries to staff involved in new business;
- Manage the collection of proposal and other business development documentation such as partner information, country and founder information, and upload to appropriate database systems;
- Provide assistance with the review, editing, and compilation of proposal sections, marketing materials, and other documents;
- As needed, provide additional capacity for business development/proposal recruitment efforts;
- Participate in proposal preparation for OFDA and other donors, including writing sections, recruiting personnel, and preparing costs
- Ensure compliance with proposal requirements, RI processes, and donor policies and regulations
- Represent RI to external stakeholders and effectively demonstrate knowledge of the company’s history, values, and standards
- Assist in administrative duties, as needed.
- Provide day-to-day Program support to Sudan team;
- Assist in filing and maintaining all grant documentation, including contracts, budgets, external evaluations, quarterly reports, etc.;
- Coordinate the submission of project reports to donors;
- Provide assistance with the review and editing of program reports and other documents;
- Assist in the development and monitoring of work plans, deliverables, sub-grant programs, training, and technical activities;
- Backstop as Monitoring and Evaluation focal person through strengthening country M &E Systems, Compile evaluations and create write-ups of project related ‘success stories’ and assist in the documentation of lessons learned;
- Review and reconcile expense reports, project spending, and budget versus actuals (BVAs);
- Assist in preparing and updating public relations materials such as brochures, information sheets, capacity statements, monthly newsletters, and annual reports;
- Provide timely information on RI Sudan program activities for RI Regional/HQ and related websites;
- Conduct internal desk reviews, help generate lessons learned, questionnaires, best practices, etc.;
- Provide additional support to RI Sudan programs as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- This position demands a dynamic individual with demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast-paced environment;
- Bachelor’s degree in Arts, Communication, Social or any other relevant degree
- At least 3 years’ experience, previous experience working in Sudan an advantage.
- Knowledge of USAID regulations but also from other donors (DFID,EU ECHO UN Agencies etc) strongly preferred
- Experience in managing multiple project portfolio in different regions and context
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation, donor liaison and reporting
- Good professional knowledge of English, Arabic language abilities are a plus
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, particularly when dealing with national staff and multi-cultural teams
- Excellent programmatic, financial, and organizational planning skills
- Proven initiative and resourcefulness
- Excellent oral communication skills and writing ability
- Demonstrated experience of fund raising
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
How to apply: