The Security Manager will oversee and ensure mitigation of risks posed to the program, personnel and assets of Pact through provision of specialized, coordinated and focused security management support for the proposed European Union Trust Fund, a three-year collaboration in Cross-Border Areas of the Horn of Africa Region: the Kenya-Ethiopia-Somalia border to prevent local conflict and mitigate its impact. This position is based in Mandera and will report to the Country Director.
Roles and responsibilities:
· Review and make recommendations regarding safety/security requirements of the Mandera/Lodwar offices and liaise regularly with the Country Director on emerging threats and specific security conditions.
· Develop a solid understanding of the Pact security management system and keep abreast of all changes and developments as they occur.
· Ensure all relevant safety/security information is disseminated in a timely manner to all staff and to the extent possible the partners. Advise on safe movement of staff – secure travel routes, insecure locations to avoid, vehicle fleet management policies, appropriate and adequate safety and communications equipment in vehicles etc.
· Develop and review all evacuation [IN1] and emergency contingency plans and make recommendations as necessary (emergency evacuation, assembly/safe areas, mass casualty management and emergency communications), to develop appropriate responses, including required human and technical resources for effective implementation.
· Conduct as required security assessments/evaluations/threat/risk analysis (both tactical and strategic) for Pact and offer appropriate mitigation recommendations.
· Conduct regular document reviews of extant security plans and policies and update, edit or improve, as required.
· Identify various levels of risk (risk matrix) and potential mitigation measures within the concept of Pact’s risk management strategies.
· Assist in the design and implementation of security strategies and program specific security procedures/standards and establish a concrete course of action for their implementation within the organization.
· In coordination with other managers, conduct regular safety/security briefings for all staff and targeted trainings for identified program staff in relevant areas (counter-surveillance, defensive driving techniques, evacuation drills, mass casualty response, hostage survival, stress awareness, operational and personal security measures).
· Maintain open-lines of communications concerning all aspects of general safety/security with relevant partners; and as required by the host governments and various security services.
· Be guided by Pact’s Rules and Regulations related to the confidentiality and secure management of internal and external safety/security information.
Qualifications and experience:
· University degree in Law Enforcement, Security Management, Disaster Management, or a related field. Or equivalent studies in the National Armed or Security forces.
· 4-6 years’ work experience in international safety and security. NGO experience is an added advantage.
· Strong analytical capacity, resourcefulness and creativity in developing the role of security within programs and ensuring the most effective support to line management.
· Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
· Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in international environment with people from diverse background and cultures.
· Excellent planning, coordination and reporting skills, with the ability to organize a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
· Experienced with liaising with civilian, police and military government authorities, as well as with regional, national and international institutions
· A high level of mental and physical resilience and readiness to work and travel to areas with volatile local conditions. Experience in security/crisis management.
· Familiarity with the Somali context and previous working experience in the region an advantage.
· Experience with incident reporting, incident mapping, intelligence collation and analysis functions, set up and execution of an incident warning system compilation of security reports and assessments.
· Computer literacy.
Interested applicants fulfilling the requirements are invited to send their application letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Security Manager- Mandera” on the subject line.