Marie Stopes Kenya (MSK) provides comprehensive SRH services through its branch network of 23 clinical facilities, called Centers of Excellence.
These facilities provide a wide range of services including: medical consultation, specialist gynaecological consultations; comprehensive FP services including LAPM; pre- and post-natal care; child welfare services; comprehensive laboratory services; 24 hour maternity services; free condom distribution; school health education; voluntary medical male circumcision; PMTCT and VCT services; STI diagnosis and treatment; post abortion care and safe delivery and associated services.
The Center Manager position is within the Marie Stopes Kenya (MSK) Programme Operations Department.
The holder of this position reports to the Senior Coordinator MSK Centers, but also engages other department’s heads as and when need arise.
The Center manager is responsible for the smooth running of a MSK Center. He/she is expected to ensure clinical quality, delivery of high quality services, as well as client safety. He/she assists the Senior Coordinator with budget management to make sure they are all consistent with organizational goals and objectives. He/she will also provide leadership and manage support staff for the Center.
He/she will also provide professional services – if his/her profile is clinical – that complement the Service provider’s role of delivering primary health care services at the allocated center or any other center as the need arises.
- Technical and clinical service provision
· To provide all of the following clinical services to a consistently high standard and in accordance with clinical guidelines and protocols: All methods of short and long-term contraceptive methods, including injections, implants and IUDs.
Cervical screening, STI screening and treatment and VCT.
Removal of implants and IUDs where required.
Assistance with tubal ligation and vasectomy procedures.
To conduct weekly checking of essential equipment, promptly inform the Team Leader of their current status, and following up repairs or maintenance as required.
To carry out all nursing procedures (as laid down in the procedure manual).
To maintain high standards of cleanliness and infection control measures.
To ensure instruments are appropriately sterilised and stored in compliance with infection control protocols.
To order medical supplies and consumables in good time to avoid shortage.
To ensure proper storage of medical supplies.
To support clients through the provision of vocal local techniques during procedures.
To attend clinical training and supervision as required.
To promote and ensure proper use of the Client Information Centre (CLIC)
To support new team members in their induction & orientation and assist with training as required.
· Business planning and development: Prepare annual business plans with SMART objectives and strategic plans of how to achieve them. Continually assess all areas of the service provided to clients to ensure continued financial viability and take tough decisions where services are deemed non-viable.
· Increasing productivity and product margin: Continually review the efficiency of the centre, especially with regards to the core services in MSK
· Financial Management: Monitor income and expenditure, seeking support from Finance as required, and take appropriate action to ensure financial KPIs are met. · Marketing: Instill a marketing culture with teams so that everyone is aware of their individual responsibility for the success of their centre. Agree marketing activities with the centre marketing champion and the MSK Marketing team. Strengthening appropriate referrals with other RHN providers, CHWs and pharmacies within the region.
· Optimise client numbers: Optimise capacity within the centre by efficiently managing human resources; continually reviewing the effectiveness of systems and working practices; and maintaining an effective client flow to minimise client wait times.
· Compliance to the national healthcare guidelines and MSI protocols: Ensure compliance with national minimum healthcare standards taking immediate action where appropriate on any areas identified for improvements as a result of internal or external audits or inspections.
· Contingency planning: Ensure there is an appropriate plan in place which anticipates any risks to your centre and MSK and outlines appropriate action to be taken to minimise impact.
· Stock management: Ensure no over/under- stocking and also that stock is well handled. · Health and Safety:Take overall responsibility for team, client and general safety in the Centre and as a consequence of its activities. · IT management: Utilisation and close supervision of the Client Information Center software (CLIC)
4 .Quality Management
· Quality management: Promote and maintain the quality management systems as laid out by MSK and MSI. · Client feedback : Ensure client feedback and prompt conclusion to potential clients complaints
· Motivation of team: Engage and motivate all team members within the centre so that they understand and work to achieve centre objectives and KPIs and so that their role has a positive impact on the centre’s success.
· Performance management: Take an active approach to managing the performance of all team members by providing honest feedback on performance; providing formal reviews at least annually; setting appropriate objectives; ensuring appropriate behaviours are discussed and appropriate training plans are put in place.
· Induction: Clearly define structured local induction plans to ensure new team members understand the requirements of their role and have appropriate training to do the job. Ensure that all new team members attend corporate induction within the first 3 months of starting.
· Discipline of team: Take immediate and appropriate action in the event of misconduct or serious underperformance of team members, seeking support from People & Development Department as required and ensuring action is in line with MSK’s HR policies.
· Communication: Put in place mechanisms for effectively communicating with team members ensuring that the approaches used provide opportunities for two-way discussion. Promote a feedback culture within the team.
· Learning and development: Create a learning environment to ensure your team members have the appropriate skills to deliver service excellence; assess and forward plan for training needs, getting appropriate support from the MSK Learning & Development function and ensure attendance on mandatory/planned courses.
· Personal development: Actively take responsibility for own development including ownership of own training and keeping skills and knowledge up to date, seeking support as required.
Skills and Experience
· Bachelor Degree in Health or Business Administration (combination of related education and operational experience in a health care organization may be substituted for Bachelor Degree in Health or Business Administration
· (5) years experience in healthcare field
· Significant operational, hands on management including team management gained within a customer focused service industry
· Healthcare management experience
· Have held, worked to and/or monitored a budget or business plan
· IT literacy: confident using MS Office
· MS Word for reports
· MS Excel
· team leadership skills: effective delegation, supervision, coaching and motivation
· communication skills: to convey message clearly and concisely, in a manner appropriate to the target audience both in writing and verbally
· financial skills: understand and use financial information such as balance sheets and profit and loss accounts to inform business decision making
Attitude / Motivation:
Successful performance at MSK is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others. There are 13 key behaviours that MSI encourages in all employees and they are defined below:
Thinking and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
· Effective Communication
Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise. Demonstrating diplomacy and maintaining confidentiality.
Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
· Working Efficiently
Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
· Sharing Information
Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
· Focus on Learning
Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
Awareness and understanding of MSK’s goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
Drive and determination to deliver results
Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate. Demonstrating integrity in all aspects of your work including financial integrity.
· Embracing Change
Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
· Applications quoting the position title with a detailed CV, contact details of 3 referees including their email addresses (1 of which should be your immediate supervisor, 1 former supervisor and 1 any other but not a relative) should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before July 25, 2018.
· Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.