ABOUT MERCY CORPS
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
PROGRAM/ DEPARTMENT SUMMARY:**
Mongolia is a country negotiating the balance of its pastoral traditions with its potential for sustained, dynamic economic growth and securing its full transition to democratic governance. Mercy Corps supports rural entrepreneurs and their communities with programs focused on harnessing economic opportunity, mitigating risk, and strengthening local governance to support the development of a diverse, sustainable and resilient rural economy. Since 1999, Mercy Corps has worked with government business, and civil society to develop the local skills and capacities that have enabled Mongolia to grow while retaining vital cultural and livelihood traditions.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Mercy Corps Mongolia is seeking an experienced person for the Market System and Financial Inclusion Analyst. Working in the Ulaanbaatar office under the guidance of the Director of Programs and in close cooperation with the different partners and stakeholders, and regional teams, the Market System and Financial Inclusion Analyst will actively participate in Market System analysis; Market assessment & competitive analysis; Planning & development of the Plan of Action/Business Plan; strategic planning & sustainability; implementing and monitoring of the project areas related to youth, financial inclusion (financial literacy, business development and analysis of financial risks) and green pasture management; reporting of the project outcomes and impacts, and collaboration with donor and partner organizations.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- With supervision and guidance from the CD and DOP and team leaders undertake assessments, cooperate in further project design and implementation strategy
- Demonstrate sound technical knowledge and skills of market & business analysis, value chain and market development, financial inclusion & products, import and export trade, microfinance and other relevant;
- Critically analyze which market actors and systems play important role in expansion of meat market in rural area;
- Identify the intervention strategy to support meat sector business development and meat export that is aligned with current legal framework;
- Elaborate of market linkages between herders, traders, processors and buyers on the issue of the meat sector and identify how they benefited from the project through financial inclusion;
- Contribute to the improved market linkages through market system analysis of the meat sector development;
- Prepare mini Business plans; pitches & feasibility studies for MSME in livestock/meat sector
- Coordinate & manage the day-to-day activities for the financial inclusion part of the RCP project including a) financial literacy & behavior change; b) development of “green livestock” related financial products; c) financial risk management analysis for herders & SMEs in livestock/meat sector
- Continuous update & data gathering on the livestock/meat sector development
- Ensure and maintain daily communication with staff, partners and beneficiaries is effective and up to date.
- Ensure compliance with Mercy Corps regulations related to monthly/ quarterly/ semi-annual and annual data tracking and verification, monitoring & evaluation and reporting.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
- Produce written reports on program activities, capturing the impacts of activities.
- Conduct frequent field visits to all project sites when necessary, its technical areas, ensure use of monitoring and evaluation results to improve implementation.
Strategy and Vision
- Provide program support, coordination to meet program objectives;
- Contribute to the country strategic planning process and provide regular updates;
- Proactively enhance the quality of programs, outputs, workplace environment and relationships.
- Consistently demonstrates flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances.
- Demonstrate a good team player by being a positive example to others, a positive force programmatically and organizationally; foster a culture of innovation;
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity;
- Seek opportunities to coordinate vertically and horizontally with Mercy Corps program and operations teams to improve efficiency and impact;
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
- Support Project/ Program Managers in their efforts to manage strong project/ program teams.
- Assist Project/ Program Manager performance, taking corrective action as required.
- Help to facilitate team coordination and capacity building opportunities and events as required.
Representation and program development
- Develop and nurture culturally sensitive internal and external relationships and networks to ensure optimum communication and program success.
- Support the CD and DOP in maintaining a clear, unified communications approach for the country program.
- Supports CD and DOP in pursuing new business development opportunities to support the country strategy and plans.
ORGANIZATIONAL LEARNING: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABLITIY TO BENEFICIARIES: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Director of Programs
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Deputy Chief of Party, Project/ Program Managers & Officers, Finance & Compliance Director, Communication Officer
COLLABORATES WITH: All MC staff as required
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- A degree in Management ( MBA), Finance and Economics or any other equivalent qualifications;
- MBA with one-two years of work experience is preferred;
- Over 2 years of experience of market & business development, market & financial analysis, financial and program management;
- A high level of personal efficiency, and the ability to balance multiple urgent or important tasks without undue stress;
- Strong representation and presentation skills;
- Ability to maintain a consistent field orientation and performance orientation;
- Excellent oral and written English language skills required;
- Ability and willingness to use modern ICT solutions in program management;
- Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving;
- Proven ability to learn quickly, lead a project to achieve stated results and objectives;
- Experience with the development, implementation & compliance of major institutional donor programs;
- Experience working with local governments, national and international NGOs.
The successful Market System and Financial Inclusion Analyst will be good at problem solving possessing right business and financial analytical skills as well as good at collaborative work with a team. He/she will maintain strong cooperative relationships with other departments and interact effectively with international and national personnel, while demonstrating the ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
LIVING CONDITIONS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Ulaanbaatar provides a secure living environment that is suitable for families. It offers a number of individual housing options with good utilities. This is an accompanied family post. The Market System and Financial Inclusion Analyst is expected to conduct regular field trips, spending up to 50% of his/her time in the field.