Title: Project Associate, Communication and Publications
Post Number: ICCROM-Sharjah (05-Re-advertised)
Organizational Unit: ICCROM Regional Conservation Centre, UAE
Primary Location: Sharjah, UAE
Recruitment open to: Internal and external candidates
Type of contract: international recruitment
Term: 1 year (Renewable) (Six-month probation)
Deadline (Midnight Rome Time): July 31, 2018
ICCROM (International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property) is an intergovernmental organization with headquarters in Rome, Italy. Founded by UNESCO in 1956, it is the only institution of its kind with a worldwide mandate to promote and improve the conservation practice of all types of cultural heritage through training, information, research, cooperation and advocacy. ICCROM through its Regional Centre (ICCROM Conservation Centre in Sharjah) has been extensively engaged in training and advocacy activities in the Arab Region.
ICCROM Regional Conservation Centre in Sharjah, UAE, is a regional field office of ICCROM. The Centre was established by ICCROM and the Government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) following decisions made at ICCROM’s 27th General Assembly November 2011. The Centre represents ICCROM for the service of its Arab member states. Its legal status in the UAE followed a decision made by the Council of Ministers of the UAE on 29 March 2015, and a headquarters agreement signed between ICCROM and the UAE Government (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) on 27 October 2015. ICCROM-ATHAR dedicated its activities, since its inception, to the protection of cultural heritage in the Arab region and broadening access, appreciation and understanding of its rich history. Basing its philosophy, goals and activities on its wide knowledge and experience in the Arab region, it is working today to enhance and support the work of official heritage institutions to manage heritage sites, historic monuments and museum collections on sustainable basis through a series of regional and national activities including: (1) capacity building and continuing education; (2) outreach and communication; (3) dissemination of knowledge through publications; and, (4) cultural heritage policy development and guidance. In addition, the Centre works on pilot field or special projects at the request of ICCROM Member States from the Arab region.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Representative of ICCROM in the Arab States and Director of ICCROM-ATHAR Regional Conservation Centre, the incumbent will be engaged as a full-time team member in the Communication and Information Activities of ICCROM-ATHAR Centre’s work aimed to achieve the purpose of the Centre and integrated with ICCROM’s mandate. To this end, this holder of this post will particularly:
- Help ensure maximum impact for ICCROM and its newly created Centre in Sharjah by means of effective institutional information and communication actions, publications of high standards, and various media activities. Means and modes of delivery include (but not limited to) annual reports, newsletter, exhibitions, website development, meetings and communication with partners, as well as implementing monitoring and communication work with the Headquarters in Rome.
To this end, the post holder will:
- Assist in the implementation of ICCROM-Sharjah programme activities relevant to this area of expertise.
- Assist in the planning, and implementing all information, communication, website updating, and media activities, including material preparation, and evaluating outcomes.
- Assist in devising, implementing and monitoring a media strategy and action plan for the 2018-19 biennium for all ICCROM activities implemented in the UAE or abroad, in the context of ICCROM’s plans and strategic directions.
- In close coordination with the Director and Project Associates, assist the Director in the implementation of media programmes and dissemination of knowledge about ICCROM activities implemented by the Sharjah Office;
- Assist the team at the Centre in external communication, specifically media related activities, including – but not limited to – disseminating published material to partners and Member States;
- Liaise with the Headquarters Communication Department in Rome in order to develop effective information plans to enhance and promote the role and actions of the Centre through editing and coordinating with printing houses, media specialists, newsletters, and other information material of the Centre;
- Draft website and social media content, press releases, media invitations, and other media related pieces according to established editorial standards in the relevant languages: English, Arabic and French;
- Support the dissemination of the Centre’s knowledge, information, and activities to both the professional community and general public through platforms such as the Centre’s website, social media, and traditional media;
- Implement activities within allocated budget to training and information activities, and report regularly to the Director.
- Assist in coordination the work of projects with the Headquarters in Rome, partners, contractors and project associates in the fields of media and Information.
- Assist in ICCROM’s publication programmes particularly related to promotional material of the Centre’s work, and activity or strategic reports.
- Support the delivery of the other activities and team work at the Centre, especially in the areas of dissemination of information, and by establishing synergies.
- Provide technical support through research to dissemination of activity results within the constituencies of institutional governance.
- Help in the planning and implementation of exhibitions and activities that would enhance knowledge of the ICCROM’s activities at the General Assemblies of ICCROM and other relevant events.
- Liaise with the Headquarters Communication Department in Rome in order to develop effective information plans to enhance and promote the role and actions of the Centre through: editing and coordinating with printing houses and media specialists, newsletters and other information material of the Centre.
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with competencies of the post as requested by the line management.
- Monitor and report on at least bi-monthly basis on activity preparations, implementation, identifying potential problems and proposing adequate solutions.
- Assist in organizing coordination meetings (as relevant to the subject area), preparing the agenda and circulating in advance all necessary papers.
- Prepare technical documentation of activities, to form part of periodic reports on programme activities.
- prepare and draf activity reports in coordination with other departments, and provide information on Projects.
- Ensure editing of materials, as required, of key documents and reports relevant to the post.
- Participate in other Centre’s activities and requests by Member States in an advisory and support capacity when requested.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in a field related to Communication, Information, Publications and/ or website development, or in other relevant areas linked to this post. A first-level university degree in combination with at least five additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Other degrees or medium-term training in disciplines relevant to the post, are desirable.
- A minimum of five years progressively responsible relevant professional experience at the appropriate level, preferably within international, intergovernmental, government, or specialized institutions/organizations, are required.
Desirable Work Experience:
- Advanced level assignments at the international level and/or in intergovernmental organizations are desirable.
- Knowledge of the United Nations Common or intergovernmental System.
- Professional experience gained in multicultural environments.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the Organization’s mandate, vision, strategic direction and priorities.
- Capacity to provide leadership in the field of expertise is required for the post, as well as ability to build trust, and work with a team in a multicultural environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Capacity to build collaborative institutional relations, partnerships and media networks.
- Demonstration of advanced level of IT skills: Microsoft Office, Word Press, In-Design, PowerPoint Presentations.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and management abilities.
- Highly developed organizational skills, including establishing plans and priorities, as well as implementing them effectively.
- Flexibility of approach, and ability to prioritize effectively and to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, and demonstrated ability to function efficiently,
- Proven skills and experience in implementing relevant projects and programmes to the post.
- Possession of high professional standards in the provision of expertise required.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing while being diplomatic and culturally sensitive.
- Ability of co-ordination of relatively complex scheduling, researching and logistical arrangements in compliance with accepted practice and procedure, all within strict time constraints.
- Understanding of budget and resource requirements for project execution.
- Sound judgment, intellectual and analytical capacities, high sense of objectivity and professional integrity, diplomacy, tact and political astuteness.
- Ability to build, maintain and enhance working relations with national/ local authorities, cultural institutions and relevant intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Representation of the organisation with partners in a professional, courteous and organised manner.
Other desirable Skills/Competencies
- Broad general culture, good geopolitical knowledge.
- Global and regional professional network in the field of media and communication.
- Excellent knowledge and drafting skills in Arabic and one of the working languages of the Organization (English or French) are required. Knowledge of the other language of the organization is highly desirable.
Applications are to be sent in English to: email@example.com, stating the position title in the subject line and including the following documents:
- Cover letter addressing relevant experience
- Curriculum vitae
- Name and contact details of three professional references
- UN P11 Form (downloadable on our website)