The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation
In East Amman and Karak, DRC is starting a new multi-year project funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). The main goal of the intervention is to improve the overall working conditions for migrant, refugee and low-skilled Jordanian workers within the agricultural, service and construction sectors in Jordan. The project will be implemented through a legal aid partner as well as through Civil Society Organizations (CSO) within each target sector who will receive intensive technical and institutional capacity building as well as in-kind assistance in order to improve their programmatic effectiveness and efficiency. Results of the intervention will be used to advocate for policy improvements with regards to working conditions at the municipal and national levels.
The Senior Project Officer will be responsible for coordinating and overseeing the activities implemented through partner organizations. The individual will report directly to the Project Manager, and will be supported with technical oversight from the livelihoods technical unit and partnerships manager.
About the job
The individual will report directly to Project Manager. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
· Oversee and supervise all activities related to the SDC project, and ensure that they are implemented in a way that meets technical standards set by DRC;
· Develop work plans with partner CSOs and monitor implementation on regular basis through field visits and designing activity reports to be submitted by partners.
· Assist in identifying technical and institutional capacity building needs for partners and organize appropriate trainings to improve their programmatic effectiveness and efficiency.
· Conduct stakeholder analysis in each target location for the agriculture sector (Karak) and construction and services sectors .
· Support and facilitate multi stakeholder learning groups and assist CSOs on presenting and developing advocacy materials.
· Support in data collection, monitoring, and evaluation efforts with DRC’s Monitoring and Evaluation team as needed.
· Assist in the compilation of program and contextual information to be used for advocacy efforts at the municipal and national levels
- Ensure regular, proper project documentation and contribute to reporting and internal information sharing with relevant program and support teams
- Support other projects as requested by the Project Manager
• To be successful in this role we expect you to have At least 2 years of previous experience in project implementation and staff management, preferably with an international NGO.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
Required / Desirable
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant area (e.g. International Relations, Development Studies) or a combination of a business related university degree and additional relevant experience.
• Previous experience in project implementation through Civil Society Organizations or other partners
• Experience working with or knowledge of Jordanian trade unions highly preferred.
• Understanding of the working conditions and main stakeholders within the agricultural, service and construction sectors in Jordan strongly preferred;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to foster communication and negotiation among local stakeholders;
• Strong organizational and time management skills;
• Ability and willingness to maintain regular presence at project sites and to work during irregular working hours;
• Ability to write reports in a timely fashion;
• Arabic (fluent)&English (excellent)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 6 month contract including three months as probation period, renewable based on both funding and performance.
Designation of Duty Station:Karak
Start date: 15 Aug 2018
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.**
Closing date for applications: 24 July 2018
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.