Reporting to and working with the Center Manager, the Service Provider/Nurse’s main role is to maintain the high clinical standards expected by MSK and actively work to promote the clinic and contribute to improved financial performance. The nurse promotes and restores patients’ health through collaboration with all team members; providing physical and psychological support to patients, he/she also supervises other team members.
Strategic Purpose of the Programme Operations Unit: to ensure excellent delivery all MSK outreach Programme activities and the development and funding of new work.
Provision of quality client care
· To provide comprehensive client counselling on reproductive health, contraceptive options and other services.
· To ensure that all clients are treated with sensitivity, respect, and consideration. If complaints are raised, to be able to effectively manage and resolve them and to promptly refer to the Team Leader if the client complaint continues or is of a serious magnitude.
· To maintain the highest possible standard of client care by providing quality care to all clients.
· To implement a smooth, efficient client flow to minimise client waiting times.
· To monitor and evaluate client care continuously and recommend improvements as necessary.
· To provide accurate information to clients, and their families where required, to enable clients to make informed decision about their reproductive & sexual health.
Budgetary control, maintain record keeping, reporting and performance management
· To ensure sufficient supplies are available to provide services without disruption and that stock is dispensed and counted accurately; stock cards are updated continuously and waste and spoilage of stock (i.e. expired stock) and stock outs are minimised.
· To comply with all financial standing operating procedures including accurate and timely management of advances and surrenders required for outreach provision.
· To ensure accurate client records are maintained in both the client record book and daily register.
· To ensure all client information is kept confidential at all times and stored appropriately.
· To provide accurate, timely collation of activity data for internal and external reporting purposes.
· To analyse activity trends and ensure performance targets are achieved, pro-actively identifying and implementing opportunities for improvements.
· To assist in the collection of client feedback data
Technical and clinical service provision
· To provide all of the following clinical services to a consistently high standard and in accordance with clinical guidelines and protocols:
- All methods of short and long-term contraceptive methods, including injections, implants and IUDs.
- Removal of implants and IUDs where required.
- Assistance with tubal ligation and vasectomy procedures.
- Cervical screening, STI screening and treatment and VCT.
· To conduct weekly checking of essential equipment, promptly inform the Team Leader of their current status, and following up repairs or maintenance as required.
· To carry out all nursing procedures (as laid down in the procedure manual).
· To maintain high standards of cleanliness and infection control measures.
· To ensure instruments are appropriately sterilised and stored in compliance with infection control protocols.
· To order medical supplies and consumables in good time to avoid shortage.
· To ensure proper storage of medical supplies.
· To support clients through the provision of vocal local techniques during procedures.
· To attend clinical training and supervision as required.
· To promote and ensure proper use of the Client Information Center (CLIC)
· To support new team members in their induction & orientation and assist with training as required.
Participate in promotional and marketing activities
· To fully participate in planned promotional activities including educational and awareness-raising events with clients, community members and other stakeholders.
· To positively promote Marie Stopes Kenya as a leading, quality provider of reproductive & sexual health services.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Qualifications and Experience:
· Diploma in Nursing from a recognised medical training college.
· Bachelor in Nursing will be an added advantage.
· Registered by the Nursing Council of Kenya
· Minimum 2 years post training working experience.
· High regard for confidentiality
· Excellent communicator – both written and spoken
· Commitment to excellent client care and the delivery of client-focused services.
· High level of attention to detail
· Knowledge of professional nursing theory and practice to give and evaluate patient care.
· Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations and procedures to administer patient care.
· Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
· Skills in preparing and maintaining records, writing reports and responding to both oral and written enquiries.
· Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical and clinic staff and the public.
· The ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
· The ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
· Excellent computer use skills
· High level of professionalism and management of clients
· Team player who accepts constructive criticism and is comfortable with giving constructive criticism.
· Ability to remain calm under pressure
· Ability to work flexibly to meet service needs.
Attitude / Motivation:
Successful performance at MSK is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others. There are 13 key behaviours that MSK encourages in all employees and they are defined below:
Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
· Effective Communication
Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
· Working Efficiently
Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
· Sharing Information
Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
· Focus on Learning
Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
Drive and determination to deliver results
Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
· Embracing Change
Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
· Team Player
Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other
· Applications quoting the position title with a detailed CV, contact details of 3 referees including their email addresses (1 of which should be your immediate supervisor, 1 former supervisor and 1 any other but not a relative) should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before July 25, 2018.
· Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted